Minimum Recommended Specs for Student Computers
When buying a computer, be discerning. The most inexpensive computers cost less for a reason. Read the specifications to ensure the computer has everything you need to succeed in your studies. Some guidelines for minimum computer specifications are below. IT Services recommends meeting these standards when bringing a computer to campus.
Minimums for All Computers
- Laptop models strongly recommended
- 16GB RAM
- 512GB SSD (solid state drive) storage
- Gigabit Ethernet or Ethernet adapter
- Ethernet cable, 15 feet or longer
- Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 CPU preferred
- Manufacturer-extended warranty with accidental damage coverage is strongly recommended.
- Academic Discount: CDWG
- Apple M1 or M2 CPU
- AppleCare extended warranty with accidental damage coverage is strongly recommended.
- Academic Discount: Apple Store for Education
Note: The College of Business Administration strongly recommends business students bring a Windows PC to campus due to many business software titles only being available for Windows.
Opus College of Engineering majors have unique laptop specifications.